Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Ruler Trick Upgrade

For years now I have been religiously submitting some of my ideas to Fine Woodworking and Woodworking Magazines to have them posted in the Methods of Work or Shortcut sections. This past summer I submitted a Shortcut to Woodworking Magazine. The shortcut was a upgrade to the David Charlesworth Ruler Trick. The shortcut was published in the winter 2009 Woodworking Magazine. The Text read as follows.

"When polishing the back of a plane iron it is much faster to use David Charlesworth's ruler trick. The ruler raises the iron up on one side of the stone and creates a micro bevel or a thin back bevel on the back of the iron. When I tried to use a ruler it would sometimes move around on the stone. To prevent this I made a "ruler" out of thin steel flashing available at any home center. I took the flashing, removed all the paint and then bent the last 3/8" on either end to create a hook. The new ruler clips over the stone and does not move."







No comments: