Thursday, April 22, 2010

One Last Project



With only about a week left in Grand Teton National Park I finished up my last project for the winter season of 2010. This was a commission from Jon Phoenix and was to celebrate the marriage of a good friend. Jon asked me to construct a toolbox for Scott, the recipient. This will be my fourth toolbox of this style. The first was the Herwiggy toolbox. Each time I construct one of these boxes I learn a little about the design and sometimes tweak a component. For this box I was able to use a small piece of Zebrawood for the handle and it turned out really nice. I cut the tenons this time by hand instead of with the router. Hand sawing the tenons actually seemed much faster and more enjoyable. The bevels on the through tenons are nice and crisp thanks to the dense tropical hardwood. Everything else went together smoothly and as usual it was a blast to construct. I used Black Walnut and Poplar for the rest of the box. I hope Scott is both surprised and excited when it arrives in Pennsylvania next week. Now it is time to pack up the shop for a new vista in North Cascades National Park.

3 comments:

Sweet Lou said...

looks pretty sweet clay, i'm sure scott will love it, thanks a lot

Sweet Lou said...

did you inlay a strip of poplar in the top of the black walnut?

Clay said...

Jon, the white inlay is a strip of american holly. Pure white. -Clay